Sunday, December 7, 2014

Update @ 13 years of age

 Below is part of my comment to a mother with a son who has autism in his mid-20s.

=============

I am trying to track down the transformation of my son when he was still so young going up to his current age because I want him to function as normal as possible just like us. I have not given up that idea. Hence, I taught him and still am teaching him from academics to life skills. He goes to a school in a classroom for children with LLD. However, the school right now wants to kick him out to a Multiply-Disabled and/or ABA classroom. Well, I am still fighting that. It seems like that students with autism in NJ are usually being just prepared for life skills so I can not understand the fact that NJ has best schools for children with autism. I want kids to learn, be taught and be knowledgeable to prepare them for life but I saw also in one of your videos that you did not like the idea of teaching him how to use the seat belt and how to open the car as he might bolt out. I understand the issues for some people who have a tendency to elope but sometimes, teaching them what should be done over and over, they will surely get it into their heads. Well, I believe so much in children or adults with autism that they can function like us if we and the people around them just give them the chance to learn. Learning is a lifelong process for all people. We constantly learn things, if we do not, then life can be boring and useless. Somehow, I am still full of hopes no matter what happens but of course, at the back of my mind, there are still worries of what will happen when he grows up and such. Then, I reminded myself back when I was young, even though, there were no apparent disabilities in me and with my siblings, we were extremely poor. I would worry so much where we will get our next food, if we will be able to go to college. Life is always uncertain and that makes it interesting for we can devise what we will do next if one fails or is not what we expected. I know, there is still a long road ahead but I try not to think of it too much so it will take its own course.

No comments: