Saturday, March 24, 2018

Knowledge and Autism


I was looking at my writings in the e-mail. It seems I really did not write at all in 2017. Yes, it is a sad year because of two deaths in the family. It is our first time to encounter pain.

--------------

Since Ax was young, I have been teaching him. It paid off because he has more knowledge than other kids with autism. More often, I would hear the adults around him will say, "I did not know that he knows that, it is good that he knows that, it is awesome for him to know that." As much as I dislike to listen to their admiration, it shows that many adults in the school system or even those who are outliers for the students/kids with autism like speech therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, psychologist, behaviorist, they all have a low-level expectation of what a child afflicted with autism can do. This makes me feel the unfairness the society thinks of anyone with autism. This is where we enter and this is how I call it fighting for your kid with autism. If a person of color, a person with physical disabilities are feeling that they are being diminished, people with autism are in the lowest ebb of society. Money is not the key to uplift them; it is just a helping hand to ease the pain of having someone in the family with autism. The family who likes to ride on the back that their child has autism and would not want it any other way - deep in my heart and deep in their hearts, they would not want to be in those shoes. I dislike the autism in our son because it does not give him the peace, the being that he is. I do not want to push our kids in what they can not do. I always tell them that they have to persevere, be industrious, kind, self-sufficient, self-reliant, smart and understand things not memorize them. Life as you grow older is not kind, the foundation you have as a child will be measured on how you view life when you get older. The affliction of autism is that it keeps ....

more to come



No comments: